The State of Social Media Jobs 2010 – A Special Report
A career in social media may be seen as one of the trendiest new jobs to have, and the importance of social media certainly is resonating through many big companies. However, as we reveal in a our new special report: The State of Social Media Jobs 2010, many of the world’s top companies still do not have dedicated social media positions in-house.
Just 59 of Fortune Global 100 firms have invested in recruiting staff specifically assigned to core social media duties that include customer outreach, PR and marketing support and internal communications. And, while our research shows that demand for social media positions has increased more than five-fold in the last five years social media salaries lag behind the equivalent positions in the traditional fields of PR, marketing and publishing.
Here are some of the key findings of the report:
• The social media “laggard” sectors include: financial services & insurance; petroleum & energy and utilities.
• The social media “active” sectors include: healthcare, telecommunications, retail and automotive.
• The number of social media job postings has increased by more than 600 percent to over 21,000 in the past five years.
• On average, social media salaries come in $5,000-10,000 lower than their traditional counterparts.
• Social media salaries are on the rise and could close the gap within the next year.
The report looked at four main areas on interest:
1, How the Fortune Global 100 are staffing their social media needs.
2, Which type of social media specific job position is being advertised.
3, The skills employers are looking for in recruiting social media specialists.
4, How well (or not) social media positions are paid.
To understand this new career landscape we analysed more than 21,000 social media job listings across all industry sectors.
The special report can be downloaded at: http://socialmediainfluence.com/downloads/
SMI offers specially tailored social media training for companies. Email: training[at] socialmediainfluence.com for more information.